Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Nest - Access All Areas

I hope you enjoyed part 1 and part 2 of my interviews with Shian - here is the conclusion!

Do you have any ideas how many bags you have sold?

That’s a good question and would take quite a lot of archive delving to find out! I do know that on an average (non promotional) day at the Nest, there are usually between 3 and 5 purchases which for one person is quite manageable. It gets a bit manic at Sale time, when I draft in hubby to help me, as purchases can spike up to 50 in a single day. Thankfully he’s now a dab hand at gift wrapping, knows his way to the Post Office in his sleep and best of all, he’s free!


What were highlights for you over the last 11 years?

Probably the launch of the website, 5 years ago. It was a bit of a leap of faith setting up on my own as having the massive audience of ebay for so long, it felt like the Nest might be forgotten or overlooked. Thankfully, my lovely and loyal rock bed of clients gave me so much support that within a few months it was obvious that it was the best thing I’ve ever done. Getting on to the first page of Google felt fabulous too as this brings in even more bag-loving folk and lots of people find the Nest via Google images, (the lamps in virtually every Mulberry Search you can do!).



 
Do you have a funny/interesting anecdote to share?
 
Two rather embarrassing incidents spring to mind…..The first one was many, many years ago when I was just starting out on ebay and didn’t have the reams and reams of tissue paper and bubblewrap that I do now. I was photographing a little Mulberry Tyler bag and the closest things to hand to stuff the bag with was from my underwear drawer. I selected some non-holey socks and began snapping away. Of course, when the bag sold and I posted it out I soon realised I’d posted all the socks out with it! The buyer was delighted with the bag and thankfully was in stitches about the socks. (I was just relieved they were some of my better pairs!)

The other incident was shamefully only a few years ago now. The Nest’s Re-use / Recycling policy basically works on the basis that, like me, most people don’t like packaging waste and are happy to receive pre-used cardboard boxes when they buy an item. Being very lucky that my local corner shop saves all their boxes for me, I rather obliviously posted a clients very lovely new LV out in one of these and looked forward to hearing from the her, (as it was a really stunning bag!). The next day she got in touch, absolutely thrilled to bits with her LV…..but…..did I realise the box was from ‘Tena Lady’. Oooops. After much effusive apologies I think my client saw the funny side! (I do now make a conscious check of the origin of the boxes I use now and make sure none of the ones from the Chemist sneak in!)

Do you have any plans for the Nest?  

Just carrying on as I’ve always done really. The last 11yrs has been amazing and I’d love to hope the next 11 will be even better. :) (I might retire then, but I doubt it!)

Well, even if our bank balances (or husbands/boyfriends...) wish you'd close up shop, we sure hope you carry on, Shian! 

Check back for some top tips from Shian on how to make your bag look its best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...